Monday, November 08, 2004

Self-awareness is HUGE

Self-awareness. Not many people posses this quality…and I believe it to be essential in developing into a useful human being. If you don’t understand what I mean by self-awareness just think with me…the girl who is completely self-absorbed and has no idea, the guy that has no clue that his breath is rank, the kid who tells those long-drawn out horrible stories…these of course are very simplistic examples. I believe that self-awareness is most essential for a person to mature, especially spiritually. Without awareness of flaws or shortcomings one is never able to grow. Some of the character flaws that I have been made aware of and am seeking to amend: abrasiveness (especially in first contact with strangers), inability to follow through, lack of compassion, and insensitivity…just to name a few. It’s so easy to get upset when people make us aware of our flaws—the natural response is often to get angry or shrug ‘em off…but the godly response it to listen and learn. Paul says in II Corinthians 13:5 “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.” By enlarge though I think that most people my age do very little self-examination…but we should…not only should we examine ourselves but we should be using self-assessment to steer how we grow. My guess is that you’re probably content to stay being the same person you were yesterday and just continue to react to life. But perhaps that sentence made you angry and you are one of the few who will be more than average…that aspire to do more with life than just “get by.” The hard part is that it takes more than just lofty dreams to rise above average it takes daily discipline and perseverance. So will you today be a better person than you were yesterday? That’s the question I to often have to answer NO to. But not today.

No comments: