Tuesday, January 02, 2007

From Gmac to Road Map (abridged version)

About two months ago I was all hopped up on George MacDonald (still am actually). I was reading a book called "Lilith." Bored one day I found like three other people who listed George MacDonald as a favorite author in their profile. Yes. I realize it's dorky. I'd seriously be in a book or theology club if I could. Anyway. I sent this one particular person (a girl) this very message.

Nov 13 2006 3:42 PM
to appease my curiousity i searched myspace to see how many people had actually discovered the wonderful man that was George MacDonald. you were one of like 25 or something. anyways i have been devouring his thoughts as of late. i am just finishing up lilith and ive recently read the princess & the goblin and the curdie one also. such a great find he has been for me. i think i will hit up phantastes next cuz CS was way into that one and so i must check it out. have you ever dug much into his thoughts about hell and judgement? i think im slowly becoming somewhat of a universalist or at the very least a sympathizer. it just seems so biblical and so in step with the heart of jesus. lilith and lewis' the great divorce have definately reshaped my thoughts on the subject a great deal.

anyways. im really not sure why ive spewed all this randomness upon you. haha. i guess i just needed to get it out or something. and you seemed like someone more than worthy of such a rant.

i hope this note finds you well.

i am jimi.

she responded...

Nov 20 2006 5:36 PM
hey...

yeah, a friend of mine introduced me to GMac about a year ago. his top GMac is Phantastes, but i haven't read it yet. i do have lilith somewhere but haven't read it yet, either.

i loved the princess and the goblin, and the pincess and curdie was pretty good, too. at the back of the north wind was also sweet. i've read a bunch of his adult fiction as well, which i doubt my recommender-friend has done, 'cause they're probably a cop-out for him, and the deep insight and spiritual truth that macdonald exudes in those astound me. they're like, mysteries and love stories but they're FULL of wisdom!

no, i haven't dug into his stuff on hell or judgement, and to be honest i'm not sure what you mean about being a "universalist", but i have to agree that lewis and macdonald are beginning to shape a lot of my thoughts and perceptions and beliefs. i'm stoked about reading mere christianity (i'm a slacker when it comes to non-fiction) for that same reason - i know it's gonna solidify a lot of stuff for me. and i really need to dig into a lot more of lewis for the same...

thanks for the rant... anytime! tell me more about what you mean by "universalist"...

sarah

tomorrow morning I am leaving to go see her.

It's absolutely crazy! And I promise I wasn't trying to meet girls and hook up with them on myspace. This could be a God thing. And well I owe it to Him and me to see if it is. Of course I might feel like an ass if it isn't! No regrets though. There is so much more to this story of course. The dialog I enclosed is actually some of our most mundane correspondence. The rest of it is pretty much mind blowing. If you are close to me you'll hear more. If you want to hear more ask me.

In the meantime. Here's to Canada and girls and my wildest dreams.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck bro bro

Sarah said...

one of 3 or one of 25? make up your mind!! haha

either way... i'm stoked.

Sarah said...

we want more!!!!!! more jimi blogs!!

tara said...

so YOU'RE the jimi i have heard about... :)

just checking you out. you know, like you check out references ;)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.